This job posting is no longer active on CTjobs.com and therefore cannot accept online applications.
Seasons MagazineDocument ID: A7271-1CMV Posted on: 07/08/2013 Job Type: Regular
Magazine Editor (Part-Time)
Magazine Editor (part-time)
Seasons Media, LLC, producer of four, quarterly, community-focused publications in Connecticut, seeks a part-time editor to join our growing team. Candidates must be enthusiastic, experienced leaders able to juggle multiple projects and develop compelling content at an established but evolving publishing company.
The Editor works closely with the Seasons team and editorial interns to produce the Seasons’ quarterly and ancillary print publications. The editor is primarily responsible for overseeing the content and quality of our publications and for ensuring that features are topical, interesting and informative.
Additional responsibilities include:
- organizing and chairing editorial meetings
- generating ideas for articles and features and finalizing specific stories, angles, and sources
- sending out briefs to writers, which include word count, deadline, fee, and writing style
- shaping an article’s direction with the writer and recommending sources
- editing and re-writing articles, some of which may be rejected or returned to the writer for revision
- verifying facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources
- proofreading all pages before going to press
- researching, reporting and writing assigned magazine sections when necessary
- copywriting as needed, including advertorials, special advertising sections, e-mail blasts
- miscellaneous proofreading of ad copy or promotional materials for marketing and sales
- Writing, reporting, or contributing on special projects
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline required. Communication, Media Arts, English, and/or Journalism.
- 5+ years as an editor
- strong reporting skills
- excellent writing and organizational skills
- Collaborative mindset with a willingness to assist the Seasons team as required